Wednesday, June 11, 2008

THREE: Crewcut's Chink

"What the hell is wrong with you Crewcut!"
"Nothing Man! I found this chink! Man! you know! Shoelace!!!"

Avik and Deep Shankar were roaming in the college grounds.
Deep wanted to be cool, and tried too hard!
He even had a crew-cut.
The crew-cut gave him the name "Crewcut", and accentuated his wiry frame in all the wrong ways. Small head and sunken eyes apart, Deep was still, Avik's best friend.

And today Deep was in his humpy-jumpy, excited mode again, that irritated Avik the most.

"Crew, dude, you're not making much sense, I mean, like, try walking without a jerk for a second..."
"Yeah! Man! if you'd be in my bathroom, you know, you wouldn't be able to make any sense out of it either!"
"Make sense out of what?"
"I found a chink in my bathroom man!"
"Huh! and that's cause for you to jump around? I'll see how we can get your tiles fixed."
"No not a chink! Oh! Man! A CHINKEE chink dude! As in, you know, from the Indian North East Chink!"

"Dude! I mean that's like blasphemy or something, you know, North East people are Indians just like us, I mean like, 'humans' dude, they are not chinese! We shouldn't call them 'chinks'! I mean I dunno the real term, but, calling them chinks is, like, sodomy or blasphemy type shit! I mean, basically, its not a good idea....", Avik's patience was almost running out, Deep was being particularly thorny today.

Sensing this Deep tried to calm himself a bit, with some obvious discomfort.
He tried telling his tale again.

"Okay, okay! beginning from the beginning of today Man! See, I had this real pissy dream, you know like dragons chasing me into a pond and all? and I woke up to realize I really needed to pee."

The dream came back to Avik, but he did not want to acknowledge the weakness in his heart, turning to Deep he said, "Yeah! that makes sense... so what you were telling me is that you wet your sheets in a dream... yeah! like, that is typical 'Crew' dude! hehehe!", slapping Crew's back in jest.

"No Laugh Man! So what I really do is go to my bathroom, and you know? MAN! There is a chink sitting on my pot! And I don't get it the first time? so I go 'you're on my pot man!' and he's like 'yeah!', and then he gets up and then I get it! He appeared on my pot out of nowhere! I was a little sleepy, so the phenomenon didn't register well... but, you know, kind of 'un-vanished' into thin air! It was way cool man! He's, you know, from the past or something! and still cracks the coolest jokes! We had a fun time in the morning, and then I had to rush for college!"

"Dude! He's not from the past! He's probably, like a burglar or something, who almost got caught, and found out, he's too smart for you...", Avik was alarmed at Crew's casual attitude.

"No! No! Man! trust me, you're getting it all wrong!", Crew pleaded.

"Yeah? and like Mister Crewcut Soapsud got it right?"

"Okay okay Man! Piss me, if nothing's up, but, you know, you must meet him first!"

This for a strange reason appealed to Avik too. Atleast it would distract him from thinking about his dreams. "Okay! good, let's meet him, this guy in your loo, like, what did you say his name was?"

"Its 'Shoelace', Jhonny 'Shoelace' Dow" Crew smiled.

No comments: